Not surprisingly, I don't have power. And if my Google Analytics statistics are any indicator, neither do any of my regular followers. However, something tells me I won't be getting power until maybe Friday, so I'm currently sitting at my campus library trying not to hit the guy who has been talking non-stop on his cell phone in the face. This very occurrence though brings me to the reason I wanted to write a post: the issue of introverts versus extroverts and some basic advice for introverts to function in what seems like an extroverted world.
I am one hundred percent introverted. I used to take every test possible to try and prove that somewhere, deep down inside, I really was an extrovert. But no. I'm an introvert all the way. I think I really need to clear up a couple of misconceptions about introverts though. Introverted does not equal shy. I'm not really shy at all. I have close friends, strong relationships with my co-workers and my family and a job that requires me to talk for about six to seven hours a shift. Really the difference between extroverts and introverts is that extroverts gain energy from being around people, whereas introverts lose energy from too much social interaction.
As an introvert, I often feel pulled in two directions: trying to maintain an active social life and trying to preserve my sanity through my alone time. It's work in progress, but I'm developing some healthy ways to balance the two sides.
- Schedule alone time. I schedule everything because I really don't have a choice. However, it's easy to forget to schedule time for myself. Depending on how much of an introvert you are (as well as how much you can handle), you may need to give yourself more or less time than the time you initially choose. Alone time can be whatever makes you feel happy and re-charged. Exercise is definitely a huge part of my alone time, but I also like to have time to read a book or watch a movie solo.
- Maintain a social and professional network. It can be difficult for busy introverts to maintain multiple social and professional connections, but it is well worth it. One thing I do regret is that I lost contact with almost all of my old job connections. I really only considered a few friends, but it is important that you maintain professional contacts whether it's through Facebook or the occasional call or text - you never know when you'll need it!
- Don't neglect your friends. This is similar to the last point, but I felt the need to go in depth here. Sometimes I find it difficult to fit in time with all my friends and I end up feeling exhausted or like I want to cancel on a plan. I've gotten better at not canceling on people, but if I had a dollar for every time I canceled plans because I needed alone time I could probably call out of work for the week. My best friends have both been part of my life since I was six, so this is an excuse they understand. However, canceling on a new friend or date because you need alone times doesn't sound so good. I don't advocating lying, but your best bet is to say you have an appointment and make alternate plans (the alternate plans being the most important part). I don't like when people cancel plans on me, so I feel it's most considerate to let the person know you care by making another date and sticking to it. Otherwise it comes off as "I like you, but go away" and, trust me, that's not the way to win friends.
- Don't let the negativity get you down. I always felt like I had to be more of a social butterfly, going out every night and constantly being with someone else. But truth is, just like if I don't exercise, if I don't get alone time, I'm a crazy person. It's who I am and I've accepted that. So if anyone has anything negative to say, don't let it get to you.


10:40 AM
Angela
Posted in: 
0 comments:
Post a Comment