| Run for Fit |
The day I knew exercise had become an official and permanent part of my life was when, after a long day of shopping with a friend while suffering from a serious head cold and laryngitis, I still ran before I went to sleep. I had seriously contemplated not working out that day, but something hit me. I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't exercise. To this day I still feel the same way. I know when to cool off and give my body rest, but I would be a crazy person if I stopped working out.
One excuse I hear often when talking to friends about workouts is that they missed a workout because they didn't feel well. However, you don't have to skip a workout just because you don't feel well. I almost always find that when I'm feeling sick or hungover, a workout is exactly what I need to get back on track.
Here's some tips for working out when you're feeling under the weather:
- Assess your symptoms: It is totally okay to workout when you have a cold or a headache. I have sinus problems and wake up with the occasional headache, but when I tackle my workout as soon as I wake up, I often find that my sinuses begin to clear and my headache starts to go away. Make sure, however, that you do not neglect your symptoms. You still need to take medicine, get proper sleep, and especially drink plenty of water. If you have a fever, chills, or are feeling very nauseous, exercising is not a good idea.
- Take it easy: Start off slow and see how you're feeling. Instead of going for a 6 mile run, lower your mileage or go for a walk instead. It's entirely possible you may start feeling better and find that you can do more! Some physical activity is of course better than none, so don't pressure yourself into doing high intensity interval training when your body isn't up to it.
- Know your limits: While it's definitely possible you may start feeling better, it's also possible you may start feeling worse. It's important to know the difference between pushing yourself physically and pushing yourself too far. If you reach the point where your body cannot take it anymore, stop.
- Listen to your body: There are days when I don't necessarily feel like working out and then there are days when I know I need to rest. It's a subtle distinction, but there's definitely a difference. I know that sometimes I may not be thrilled to get up and work out, but I still go for it. However, on the days when my body is telling me I need to recover, I take a break. Everyone has a different threshold and once you get into an exercise routine, you'll figure out when you can push through fatigue and when you really need to rest.


12:16 PM
Angela
Posted in: 
0 comments:
Post a Comment