| Run for Fit |
When I said yesterday that those dead lifts kicked my ass, I wasn't joking. I woke up this morning, felt those classic symptoms of aching and soreness in my quads and back and I knew it: delayed onset muscle soreness.
Anyone who's started a new fitness routine or who plays sports is familiar with delayed onset muscle soreness. It's not an entirely bad thing. The reassuring part of DOMS is that you know you pushed your body to a higher level. I sometimes experience DOMS after reaching a new PR for a run and I was definitely feeling it after starting Insanity and P90x. There are, however, precautions you can take to avoid DOMS and to help alleviate the pain.
- Don't take on too much: This tip applies to the prevention and treatment of DOMS. When starting an exercise routine or training for an event, don't go crazy. When I have the time and the energy, I want to do anything and everything ... and I often pay for it. If you typically work out 30 minutes a day and you up your exercise to an hour a day, you're most likely going to feel it. To lessen the blow, you can increase your exercise duration or intensity by ten percent instead of doubling it. As for the treatment, you don't have to be sedentary when you're feeling the effects of DOMS. You can take on light physical exercise, such as yoga, swimming, or walking. Just avoid going for another hard workout because your body will not be functioning at peak performance.
- Warm up and stretch: Don't work out a cold body! Research shows that warm-ups are more effective that cool-downs in preventing DOMS. Yoga is also beneficial for reducing the pain felt with DOMS.
- Massages: Massages may not help with muscle function and performance, but there's a reason why they are so popular: they make you feel great. So if you don't have someone who can give you a massage, go treat yourself to one. It'll be worth it!
- Anti-inflammatory medications: Ibuprofen and naproxen are great for pain, but you should not take them if you plan on working out later. It should also be said that NSAIDs can cause easy and frequent bruising, so don't get freaked out if you notice random bruising.


7:59 PM
Angela
Posted in: 
0 comments:
Post a Comment