| WeHeartIt |
It seems like sleep is seen as an option, not a requirement these days. With such a huge emphasis on energy drinks and pulling all-nighters, sleep isn't really seen as that important. I have to admit, I often think that there aren't enough hours in the day for me to accomplish what I want, but I still won't sacrifice my sleep. Different people need different amounts of sleep to function properly, but the average amount an adult needs ranges from 6-8 hours.
Before even reading an article on the benefits of sleep I knew how important it was for my health. I just didn't feel like I could get through the day without consistently getting enough sleep. I barely make it through my days of classes plus work getting 8 hours of sleep a night, so I'd be in the worst mood ever without sleep. I've heard people say that you just can't be accomplishing much if you sleep 8 hours a night, but it really is incredibly unhealthy to get less than 5 hours a sleep a night (and conversely, getting more than 9 hours of sleep a night isn't good either).
I've read in almost "secret tips to lose weight" type article that people who regularly sleep more than 9 hours or less than 5 hours a night are more likely to gain weight than those who sleep between 6-8 hours. I don't know the exact physiological explanation for it, but it seems that sleep is a crucial component of maintaining metabolism and body weight.
Missing sleep also increases the risk for developing hypertension - research shows that the risk of developing hypertension for those who regularly missed an hour of sleep was up to forty percent. There's also more obvious consequences, such as being in a bad mood and feeling unable to complete workouts.
Deep sleep is equally important for maintaining heart health and helping your body to regenerate. Sometimes it can be difficult to reach the final stage of non-REM sleep, especially if you are a light sleeper. I still have problems sleeping for long in a deep sleep, but exercise has helped me to achieve deeper sleep. Thanks to Fit Sugar, I also found some additional tips for reaching deep sleep. Turning your cell phone off and limiting light distractions will prevent you from waking up before falling into deep sleep. As much as I love naps, they don't help much with getting to the stage of deep sleep. I fell into an annoying habit of taking naps after my summer class ended, so with the semester starting back up I need to make sure I have a regular sleep pattern.
I know that it's super common for college students to have irregular sleep schedules and that often carries on into the working world. I'm definitely lucky that, thanks to working and being in school, I've finally developed normal sleeping habits. So, if you can avoid that all-nighter, in the end it'll be beneficial for your health, your ability to retain information, and your mood.


2:41 PM
Angela
Posted in: 
0 comments:
Post a Comment