Monday, July 18, 2011

A Silver Lining

Hope Solo's Twitter


Note: I'll return to regularly scheduled fitness and health posts after this post, but I have to wrap up my thoughts on the Women's World Cup.


There's more than a silver lining here, but I have to admit that I am very disappointed about the US loss in the final and my heart is still a little bit broken. It was a hard fought game and an incredibly exciting one. Alex Morgan showed that she is going to be a superstar, Abby Wambach pulled off another excellent goal, and the team played a better possession and defensive game than they played in the entire rest of the World Cup. That's nothing to be embarrassed about. To see them lose in penalties really hurt, especially considering Hope Solo's injury. Her frustration was painful to watch. But there's always London in 2012 and with talent like this, a gold medal is not far-fetched at all!


I'm so proud of the US Women's National Team; I'm proud of their performance and I'm equally proud of the class they displayed upon losing. If there was any team to lose to, it was Japan. They played incredibly well and the country could use that emotional boost. Hope said in an interview she hasn't even hit her prime so there's nothing for us US fans to worry about!


For me, the best outcome of the tournament has been the increased interest in women's soccer. Sure, I still cringe at the misogynistic remarks and the sexualization of female players, but yesterday's game was the second highest rated daytime cable TV telecast in TV history - how awesome is that? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes