| Cooking Light |
Anytime I write about low-calorie options I feel the need to re-iterate that I am not on a diet. I really eat what I want. I just think before I eat and try to make the best, most balanced choices for my health. However, I do think about calories when I drink and it just so happens that it's the end of summer, all my friends are single, and we're going out a lot more. So while I'm not going to deny myself a drink, I do try and think of better drink options.
One way to avoid overdoing it with alcohol calories is to cut down the number of drinks you consume. Seems like common sense, although it definitely isn't always easy. Instead of drinking plain water though, you can try sparkling water with a fruit - it looks like a cocktail, but it hydrates you like water. It's easy when you've had one cocktail and you're thirsty just to keep drinking more cocktails, but setting a limit is important.
Low-calorie beers and wines are often on restaurant menus, as well as skinny cocktails. If restaurants don't provide any recognizable low calorie drinks, you can choose to use diet soda as a mixer or seltzer water. Some infused alcoholic drinks are easy to drink on the rocks. My personal favorite is Bacardi, which has a variety of flavored rums that you can just drink straight.
Here are some examples of some delicious, but relatively low-calorie cocktails:
- Mojitos! Obviously, this drink is my favorite. Rum, seltzer water, lime and mint - refreshing, low calorie perfection.
- Champagne - who says champagne can't be for every occasion? A glass of champagne happens to have less calories than beer or wine, plus it makes you feel like you're celebrating something special.
- Sour apple martini - I was quite surprised to find that this drink only contains 160 calories! With a mix of sour mix, sour apple liqueur and vodka you can get a delicious and pretty drink that won't set you over your calorie limit.
- Gin and tonic - my other go-to drink. It's simple to make, often strong, and has 103 calories. If you can have two glasses of one particular cocktail and still be under 250 calories, it's a winner.
- Sangria - made the right way, sangria can definitely be low calorie. Fresh fruits are always a must; some of my favorites include peaches, grapes, apples, lemons and limes. Mix the fruits in with a bottle of wine and club soda and you're set! You can add in an artificial sweetener if necessary, but if the fruits are ripe, it should be sweet enough.


3:44 PM
Angela
Posted in: 
0 comments:
Post a Comment