I'll admit it: I used to hate yoga. I recognize the importance of stretching before and after cardio, as well as warming up, but yoga just seemed so boring. I've moved past my reservations though and I'm starting to incorporate yoga into my workout routines. Turbofire includes an extended stretch routine that I usually end up doing every other week, but I've also decided to do 15 minutes of yoga before going to sleep. Yoga is great for relaxing, limiting stress, preventing recurrences of depression and toning your body. I do different poses every night depending on certain factors, but here's some of my favorites:
Saturday, July 30, 2011
The Mind-Body Connection
Boat pose: This pose is great for strengthening your abs, spine, and hips. It's also great for digestion, as well as relieving stress. Each time you perform this pose you can hold it longer to get a greater core workout.
Tree pose: Tree pose looks easy, but it definitely challenges your balance. It works your thighs, calves, ankles and core.
Locust: It could definitely take awhile to work up to the full locust pose because it is tough! After practicing though, you'll be able to lift yourself higher and higher and really feel the workout for your butt and the back of your arms and legs. It's also great core work!
Plank: Here's a basic, but it's still a pose that shouldn't be underestimated. Plank is a great move to strengthen your arms and your arms. It's amazing how staying in plank for awhile can improve your ability to do push-ups!
I could go on and on with more great poses to try, which is one of the huge pluses about yoga. For more poses and tips, go to Yoga Journal for a very comprehensive guide to yoga poses.


11:13 AM
Angela
Posted in: 
0 comments:
Post a Comment