Saturday, September 10, 2011

Do or Don't: Two a Days

We Heart It
Had you asked me about working out twice a day six months ago, I probably would have laughed. I definitely didn't have the time or energy to even contemplate two workouts in one day! Once I dropped down to only working four days a week my free time significantly increased and so did my energy levels. Since I wasn't taking any classes during the second half of the summer I started working out twice a day. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone and I totally understand not having the time for it, however I really enjoy two a days. Here are some of my reasons why, as well as some recommendations for doing two a days the right way:
  • It works well with my schedule: On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I have class from 9am-10:50am, but traffic in the morning is terrible and it's surprisingly difficult to find parking even at 9am. Since making these discoveries, I've started getting to campus at 7:30am when the gym opens and getting in a 30 minute workout. When I get out of class I either run, do Insanity, yoga or strength training - depending on the day and my mood. It sounds pretty crazy, but it really gives me energy. Yesterday I managed to almost be up 24 hours straight and, shockingly, I didn't get cranky.
  • It helps me to vary my workouts: When I workout twice a day I get in more of a variety of physical activity. It really helps me to develop a more comprehensive fitness program, which is very important to me.
  • It helps with performance: Working out longer and harder is definitely crucial to improving performance. I'm always trying to step up my performance, so getting in two workouts a day is a great way to accomplish that goal.
If you decide you want to try two workouts a day, here's some tips:
  • Don't do it every day: Working out twice a day every day is a quick way to exhaust yourself or get injured. Exercise can be addictive, but don't let it get out of control.
  • Mix it up: Don't just do a run in the morning and the elliptical in the afternoon. One of the best parts of working out twice a day is the ability to switch up your workouts. If you focus on cardio in the morning, try strength or flexibility in the afternoon.
Quick side note: Michel and I got to Xpose Thursday evening and they changed the class times on us! The Internet isn't always so reliable. However, we both have the new schedules and we're hoping to go Wednesday. I really want to give it a shot so I hope it works out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes