Monday, June 27, 2011

A New Dream Team


I'll always remember World Cup 1999. I was 9 years old, a huge soccer fan and a player, and a huge fan of Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, and Brandi Chastain. I have a questionable childhood memory, but I remember every moment of the game that won the United States the Women's World Cup title. It's really great looking back and thinking about the sports role models I had growing up, especially with the limited presence women have in athletics. 
There's a fair (and I'd say warranted) amount of criticism directed at the U.S. Men's National Soccer Team for its seeming inability to become competitive with the soccer powers in the world. What a lot of people don't know is that the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team isn't just competitive, it's one of the favorites to win the World Cup. With players like Abby Wambach and Hope Solo the U.S. women have every real possibility of become world champions. Most importantly, little girls who love soccer and sports will have great athletes to look up to like I did when I was younger.  
I was happy to see the coverage of the Women's World Cup on ESPN and I truly hope that should the U.S. women take the World Cup title it will do great things for soccer in this country as well as girls who play sports.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes