Thursday, June 23, 2011

H.I.I.T. it!

Image: Bodyrock.tv
In January I encountered a bit of a problem with my workouts. I was working out almost every day a week, but nothing seemed to be happening.
I had hit a plateau. I was running longer than before, but it seemed like I wasn't really making any progress. Even worse, I was working four to five days a week and trying to keep up with five classes. I knew I needed to make a change and, finally, a new idea came in the form of High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T).
I incorporated intervals into my running and took on the challenge of Beachbody's Insanity program.
I'll definitely make additional posts on Insanity, but I have to say it took my fitness to another level. I cut a significant amount of time off of my mile sprint time, got some pretty sweet abs, and started to feel so much stronger.
H.I.I.T. involves a variety of options, including plyometric or jump training, sprinting and circuit training. The greatest bonus for me was the shorter workout times. In one twenty minute H.I.I.T session you can get the cardio burn of a less intense hour cardio session! My only word of caution is to not overdo it! When you push your body to the max you need recovery time, whether it's in the form of a day off or a less intense cardio session.


Read more about H.I.I.T:
H.I.I.T Supercharge Your Fitness

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes